Monday, May 11, 2009

Salvage works!


Well I thought this blog was about Polymer Clay! Yes, yes it is supposed to be my journey. I have been on a detour of sorts I suppose. I did finish this clay piece recently and love how it turned out.

Confession: The faces are made of clay, but actually I created them a couple years ago! I had formed a whole batch of these guys with my new mold maker then forgot them in the oven. Fried faces! So they sat for quite some time. Last summer I collaged them together thinking I might salvage the mess and make a brooch. Still not happy with the results so there they sat, staring at me just begging to come alive. Months went by then inspiration finally hit a couple weeks ago. I applied a patina look with acrylic paints. A little copper here a little turquoise there... wow, the results were happy! I finished the back, still intending a brooch but at the very last minute decided hmmmm.... no this is a pendant. I inlayed a tunnel across the back and gave it a final bake. The stringing came out of nowhere, it just seemed to call for a natural look. The multi strands of leather coupled with the Salwag nuts compliment the colors just right. Bringing in metal elements of copper was the finishing touch. I am completely satisfied with the end result.... 2 years in the making!

No comments: