Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What's on my workbench?

I have a hard time coming up with things to write about, an even more difficult is taking the time to post. My studio is a humongous mess, yet I carve out a small space to continue creating. I have many different projects going at once. Ideas well planted in my imagination just waiting to become reality along with small inspirations which surprise me as they come to life. I looked across my workspace and I thought to myself, there are so many stories splayed out here - on my worktable, in plain site, stories waiting to be told.


(Click to enlarge and see a really big detailed shot!)
Clockwise from top: A mixture of green beads, then a collection of golden amber. When I am tired and uninspired I string beads and make lanyards for my work ID badge. It is a challenge for me as I dont have that natural knack with beadwork. I find it tedious and somewhat boring, but it does give my mind time to think and I usually come up with some 3 demensional idea waiting to be born in clay.
Tools.... scissors, blade and my favorite sculpting tool - a bristled paintbrush.
Pending pendants.... My sister had some knots made of ceramic which turned out beautiful. I recently created some smaller knots with polymer and sent them to her. I thought why knot (not haha) hide a small face in these knots? Hey it turned out great! There is also a re-creation of my Asian Script Plum Blossom choker, and at top an Asian Script medallion pendant. I've been working with ivory/bone lately. It started a couple weeks ago when I mindlessly sat down and rolled out two dozed bone beads. Fun!
Klimt stamp... last Friday my son was showing his artwork at Spokane Art Supply. I attended the reception (he is quite amazing if I do say so!) and while there found a 4-sided Gustav Klimt stamp. I had to have it and really cant wait to work with it!

So there you have it.... well you have a snapshot anyway. Around the edges and out of shot are so many more happenings. Like I said, my studio is a huge mess, and this is just a glimpse! Next week the view will change and more ideas will take their place in the middle of my glass top creative space. Thanks for letting me share!

No comments: